Sunday, November 6, 2011

Another 5K finish!

Del Mar Iron Girl 5K - Finisher!
When I started this blog it was really about my kiddo.  Now that he is getting older, I am starting to have a life again.  I will be sharing my thoughts and events for both my kiddo, and me now!  :o)

A little over a year ago (Sept. 2010) I was encouraged to start running by some folks at the school I was teaching at - Rincon Vista Middle School.  I was about 45 lbs. overweight at the time, but in a short couple of months of running...I had lost all 45 lbs!  I ran my first race in November of 2010, which was a 5K Turkey Trot, on Thanksgiving day.  I then ran in a relay for the Tucson Marathon in December of 2010...and I've done a few other events since.  I ran my first half marathon, which was the Arizona Distance Classic in March of 2011, and finished in 2:34:39.  I was proud of my time for my first 13.1 miles, but also knew I could do better.  I must pause for a second to mention that I have such a supportive husband...who is either up early with me cheering me on at the finish line, or watching Kyle at home so I can go for a race.  Sometimes I have to wake up crazy early just to get to a race,  and it just doesn't seem to make sense to drag the whole family.  ;o)

After my first half marathon, I thought..."Ok, what's next?"  So...I signed up for more races and entered the drawing for the Nike Women's Half in San Fransisco.  I was selected to run in the race...a very big deal!!  After moving to California, and not running for 5 months, I have put on about 20 lbs.  I ran the Nike Women's Marathon anyway, even though I was not in shape for it, and finished in 3:09:57.  That time also includes the 6 stops I made for photos, as well as all the nutrition stops...which were a train wreck of people trying to merge...so that took up some extra time.  All in all, I was happy with the time, and proud to finish!  The energy at that race was incredible and indescribable!  20,000 people all there to run that day - amazing!!!  I'm not sure any race after the "red carpet" treatment of the Nike race, will be the same....it was a pretty fancy race!  ;o)  That was 3 weeks ago...

Today I ran the Del Mar Iron Girl 5K.  I finished in 35:46.  Not bad for only dieting for one week, and running a total of 4 miles this week since the half marathon.  ;o)  I'm proud of my accomplishments as a runner, and am happy with all of my times.  I always do the best I can for that day, and that is all I can expect of myself.  I try to respect my body, and listen to what it is telling me.  If I need to slow down, I slow down...if I know I can push harder, I push harder.  It was fun to see the Del Mar horse racing track today.  I've never been to a horse track before.  We got a finishers medal, of course, and a nice technical shirt, that I will definitely wear.  Lots of goodies in our bag, and a "sack breakfast" afterwards with a banana, yogurt, muffins, and OJ.  It was a nice event for being "small."  I met up with my friends Sarah and Deborah from the U of R, at the race.  That was a nice bonus to the day!  It's always fun to see friends!

I am finding that running is like my experience as a musician.  When I was in the 4th grade I started playing the flute.  From then on, my music took me literally around the world.  I saw so many places, met so many people, and accomplished great things as a musician.  I am finding the same with running.  It is taking me to cool places, where I am meeting nice people, and accomplishing things that I never dreamed I could or would ever do in this life!  I am also learning that my experience running marathons has taught me so much about life.  Life too is like a marathon.  ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment