Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas....

For the first time since my Mom passed away, I am truly feeling the holiday spirit all on my own this year.  Mom passed away 8 years ago... on November 23, 2003.  It's always a tough time around the holidays, but I can't help but remember all the wonderful memories Mom created through her decorations and holiday spirit.  It wasn't until this year that I was able to put up Mom's hand made decorations.  She was so crafty, and made almost all of her decorations!

We started with the tree, which we were gifted last year by some dear friends of ours.  It was such a blessing last year, and continues to be a blessing for us this year.  Kyle helped me decorate the tree with ornaments my Mom hand crafted, as well as ornaments that Josh and I have acquired over our years together.  Josh held Kyle up to put the angel on the top....this was my Mom's angel, that she put on the tree every year.  I don't have a memory of Christmas without this angel up top of the tree.

Our beautiful tree!

One of the first things Kyle said when we got the tree all decorated was, "I want presents under this tree."    ;o)  I can't wait until there are packages under the tree for Kyle.  It will be fun to watch Kyle's excitement grow as we get closer to Christmas day.  I want to get Kyle a chocolate advent calendar, so he can understand the countdown to Christmas day a little easier.  I loved those when I was a kid!  =)  The other thing Kyle has requested:  "I want a big train around that tree.  Okay Mommy?"  We'll see about that.....  ;o)

I took out some of Mom's other decorations, and put them up around the house {for the first time}.  I put on Christmas music while decorating, and truly felt the spirit of Christmas in my heart this year while preparing for the season.  It makes me feel so good to have holiday cheer around the house, and to leave joyful holiday memories for my beautiful son.  His eyes danced with excitement as he turned on the tree lights.  And he giggles at all the Santas around the house.  Maybe it is moving locations, maybe it is less stress, maybe it is 'letting go', or 'letting in'....or maybe all of the above.....whatever it is, it feels like Christmas this year in our home!  All I know is that it's time for this Mommy to create beautiful holiday memories for my beautiful child... just as my Mom did for me.  I feel ready!  =)


Holiday friends above the fireplace.

Mom's hand made Santa.

Another one of Mom's hand made decorations.

Mom made the snowman, and we bought that little tree together many years ago.

"Music Shop" all lit up, and a Christmas rocking horse.

I am thinking of my Mom this year and all of the wonderful memories from my childhood.  She was the best Mom I could have ever asked for, and she was my best friend!  I miss her more than words can express, but her love and memories fill my heart every day.

Happy Holidays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment