Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mommy's New Trick...?

So, Kyle has not been very interested in eating lately.  I think at first it started because of teething.  His 7th tooth broke thru, and we've still been struggling with getting food down him.  So, I was thinking that there may be more teeth on their way (and there very well may be...who know...he won't let me look in his mouth!).  But this morning I decided to try something.  Yes - I just now figured this one out!

So, I went in and got one of Kyle's plastic bowls and put a few cheerios in it.  I brought it to the living room, where Kyle was playing.  He kept playing, but in between his busyness he would come over and take a cheerio, and then go play again.  He did this until they were all gone.  I let him play for a while, and then he let me know when he was ready to sit down for breakfast!  This was a miracle!  He went in his high chair without a fight, and actually ate!

I think that in the morning he just needs some time to wake up, and he is too busy playing to be interested in eating.  But, I also think that without the snack he actually gets too hungry and then is cranky when we sit down to eat.  Thus, throwing his food on the floor, and not eating very well.

I'll try it again tomorrow.  Snack during his morning play time, and then breakfast at the table.  Here's hoping mommy has this one figured out!  :)

1 comment:

  1. When I heard a couple weeks ago that Kyle was being fussy about eating, I actually suggested to Kyle's daddy that you guys put some "finger food" out where he could get to it and eat at will. Apparently he did not pass along the idea, so I'm glad you finally thought of it. Lots of people don't like to sit down to eat right away in the morning, but, as you said, they get overly hungry later. And snacking throughout the day (a.k.a. "grazing") is healthier than three big, scheduled meals.

    ReplyDelete