Monday, October 12, 2009

Our First Overnight!

So, two nights ago (Saturday, October 10, 2009), Josh and I went camping at Patagonia lake for our very first overnight trip without the baby!  Kyle is approaching 15 months old, so I was sure he could handle his first overnight without his mom and dad.  The question was...could Kyle's mommy handle an overnight trip without Kyle...?  LOL  Grandma Buchanan came over to stay with Kyle, and he got a very good report card!!  That makes me feel so much better, knowing that he was okay without us, and it wasn't a rough or traumatic night for Kyle OR Grandma!

Josh and I spent some time on the boat fishing in the evening (well, he did the fishing, I did the boating).  We watched a frenzy of thousands of birds feeding right at sunset (on bugs, I imagine).  It was like a tornado of birds all around us!  We fished and camped with Josh's cousin Matt.  It was getting chilly, so Josh made a fire to warm us up, and to cook some hot dogs.  Yum, yum!  Josh caught a 6 lb. catfish after sundown, and we pretty much called it a night.

The night was pretty cold...I'm so glad Kyle wasn't with us...he would have froze!  In the morning we hung out by the fire and has some hot soup and sausages for breakfast before the sun came up.  I know, breakfast of champions, LOL.  As soon as the sun came up over the mountain we went out on the lake so the guys could do more fishing.

I just really enjoyed my time hanging out on the boat, listening to my iPod, and doing some writing.  It was very therapeutic, drifting quietly on the water with the beautiful morning weather, and the array of beautiful lake side trees.  I knew I didn't have to worry about Kyle, because he was in good hands with his Grandma!  :)  It was the most relaxed I think I've been since Kyle was born....which was much needed!  I hadn't actually realized how emotionally unhealthy I have been and how emotionally unhealthy our relationship has been until we were out on the water relaxing, just the two of us.  I realized...we need to do this more often!

I love Kyle more than anything in this world...but...it was so relaxing having an evening and part of a day away with my husband!  It felt like Josh and I were "us" again.  The "us" kinda gets lost when a baby comes along, because all the focus goes to the baby!  We vowed that we would make sure we had "us" time after Kyle was born...but it just doesn't happen as often as we would like it to.  But, we still try!  :)  Thanks to Grandma, we had some much needed quality couple time away.  Thanks Grandma!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment